About San Diego Zoo Global
San Diego Zoo Global is a not-for-profit organization that operates the San Diego Zoo, the San Diego Zoo Safari Park, and the San Diego Zoo Institute for Conservation Research. The Zoo was founded on October 2, 1916, by Harry M. Wegeforth, M.D. It currently has a 12-member Board of Trustees headed by Richard Gulley; Douglas G. Myers is the Zoo's executive director.
San Diego Zoo Global is the largest zoological membership association in the world, with more than 250,000 member households and 130,000 child memberships, representing more than a half million people. Members enjoy free admission to the Zoo and the Safari Park, a subscription to the magazine ZOONOOZ, and other benefits. Both Zoo and Park are open every day of the year.
San Diego Zoo Global is committed to saving species worldwide by uniting our expertise in animal care and conservation science with our dedication to inspiring passion for nature.
San Diego Zoo Safari Park
San Diego Zoo Institute for Conservation Research™
The San Diego Zoo and the Safari Park are accredited by the
Association of Zoos and Aquariums, the American
Association of Museums, and the Zoological Assocation of America.
Here's more information about the accreditation process...
Recent honors and awards
- San Diego Zoo Global was chosen by California State University, San Marcos, as its Outstanding Service Learning Community Partner of the Year for 2013.
- The Applied Animal Ecology Divisionof the San Diego Zoo Institute for Conservation Research was recognized by the California Transportation Foundation as the 2013 Sustainable Environmental Enhancement Program of the Year for its conservation efforts on behalf of the mountain yellow-legged frog.
- The City of San Diego awarded San Diego Zoo Global top honors again as 2013 Recycler of the Year, the highest recognition for having the most comprehensive and innovative recycling programs.
- San Diego Zoo Global was a finalist for the 2013 San Diego Business Journal’s Healthiest Companies award in the large company category. This award honors companies that have fostered a supportive environment for their employees and their families through innovative wellness programs, generous benefits, and employee-centric cultures.
- The Association for Strategic Planning (ASP) awarded San Diego Zoo Global with the Richard Goodman Strategic Planning Award, which is the organization's top honor for innovation and excellence in strategic planning on May 6, 2013.
- The Association of Zoos and Aquariums (AZA) awarded Top Honors for the 2012 AZA International Conservation Award to San Diego Zoo Global for its Scientific Approaches to Conservation of Giant Pandas and Their Habitat program and a Significant Achievement in North America award for our work on the Light-footed Clapper Rail Recovery Program.